SAXOPHONE PLAYER, COMPOSER, IMPROVISER
& VISUAL ARTIST
AND/OR BAND LEADER
Camila Nebbia was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina.With an orientation in avant-garde music and art, Camila Nebbia studied at different institutions. She studied classical saxophone at the Superior Conservatory of Music Astor Piazzolla, film direction at the FUC (Universidad del Cine) and the Jazz specialization of the music conservatory Manuel de Falla. Took private lessons withthe saxophone players Ricardo Cavalli, Luis Nacht (Argentina), Tony Malaby and Chris Cheek (USA). Studied improvisation with Ernesto Jodos, Juan Pablo Arredondo, Rodrigo Dominguez and composition with Diego Schissi.
2006 Her short filmt No tires mi angustia por el balcón was finalist in the 64 Film Festival contest.
2009 Premieres her short film De florecer made in 16mm.
2012 I travel to Havana, Cuba, to study music for two months with the renowned saxophonist Ernesto Camilo Vega.
2014 Participates in the international jazz festival of Buenos Aires with the Big Band of Manuel de Falla with the great trombone player of the United States Ed Neumeister. Participate in the Ramallo jazz festival with the Mingunos group. Participates of the band of Larry Braggs, former singer of tower of power, in his tour in Argentina, with the band T.O.P Queens.
2015 Wins a grant from the National art foundation to attend a one-week composition and improvisation seminar in Bariloche.
- Upon returning from the seminar she presented the interdisciplinary work called Si una fuente se siente bien echando agua that was a play for musicians, dancers and a narrator.
- Participate in the jazz festival of Buenos Aires with the big band of the manuel de falla with the great trumpeter of the United States Jim Rotondi and with the jazz nonet Mingunos.
2016 Is selected among students and alumni of the "Manuel de Falla" to participate in three different one-week workshops taught by Marilyn Crispell, Ben Goldberg and Tim Berne (USA) with whom she also participated in concerts at the Cultural Center Kirchner.
- Participates of the jazz festival of Buenos Aires with the big band of Manuel de Falla with the United States saxophonist Andrew d Angelo.
- Participates of the Santa Fe jazz festival with the Mingunos nonet.
- Plays in many jazz clubs of Buenos aires with her sextet, and records her first album as a bandleader.
2017 Travels to New York to participate of the” SIM” workshop of improvisation and composition conducted by Ralph Alessi at the Brooklyn Music Conservatory and to take private lessons with Mayra Melford, Ben Wendel, Kris Davis, Micheal Attias and Ellery Eskelin.
- Releases her first album as a bandleader called A veces, la luz de lo que existe resplandece sólamente a la distancia with a sextet, edited by the record label “Kuai” and also a part of the selection and distribution of “El club del disco”.
2018 Travels to New York to play with the quintet of Kazuki Yanamaka, Japanese saxophonist and a trio with Kenneth Jiménez and Axel Filip.
- Wins a grant from the FNA (national arts foundation) with the group El devenir del rio to compose music for the group and commission music to other female composers for the group.
- Chosen by critics of El intruso as the saxophone revelation of 2018.
- Creates the group women improvisers from different disciplines called La jaula se ha vuelto pájaro y se ha volado (The cage has become a bird and has flown).
- Produced with collaboration of Violeta García and the record label TVL REC a record of this project released on March 8, 2019 as a symbol of struggle and resistance to so much gender violence.
- The album was presented in Vicente the absurd on March 8, and in April at the Cultural Center of Memoria Haroldo Conti and was invited to participate in the International Jazz Festival of Buenos airs in november 2019.
- Assisted to the super 8 workshop dictated by Paulo Pécora in the cinema museum.
2019 Records the album of “La jaula se ha vuelto pájaro y se ha volado” album that includes many women improvisers mostly residing in Buenos aires.
- March 8 th releases the album in a concert that included many interdisciplinary artists at the venue Vicente el Absurdo.
- Tours to Peru to play with the trio "Burka" in the international jazz festival of Lima and to dictate a seminar called Creative improvisation workshop of free improvisation and conduction at the Fundación Telefónica.
- Participates of the music residency of the prestigious trumpet player Valentin Garvie at the “Centro de experimentación del teatro Colón”.
- Was invited to participate in the jazz series curetted by Cesar Pradines of the Kirchner Cultural Center with her quartet.
- Records her album “aura” with a tentet, that will be released on the year 2020.
- Was selected to participate in the “Jazz & Creative music” workshop taught at the Banff Center for Arts and Creativity located in Banff, Alberta, Canada. At the same time won the “Raúl Urtazún & Frances Harley” scholarship to cover all costs of
transportation, housing and workshop expenses.
- Traveled to New York to play in several concerts, including in the Downtown music gallery, in a quartet with Violeta García, Diana Arias and Joanna Mattrey, a trio in Bushwick public house with Vinnie Sperazza and Kenneth Jimenez and in Off Tavern with the sextet of Gabriel Fraivillig.
- Won the grant of the FNA to start the writing of her next composition work that includes the participation of several women improvisers of the music scene of Buenos Aires.
- Released a new album of saxophone improvisations with some accessories and fx, and a fanzine with her poems, both things with the same name “De este lado”, edited by El club del disco.
- Participates of the international Jazz festival of Buenos Aires with Damsel Talk, La big Nant and her project “La jaula se ha vuelto pájaro y se ha volado”
- Played and recorded with the piano player Maya Keren and the bass player Akiva Jacobs (both from U.S.A) at their visit in buenos aires.
- Curates a series of concerts of free improvisation with her collegue and friend Daniel Ivan Bruno called “Festival Guillotina”.
- February will record her next album with help of the FNA grant
- March will participate of two concerts on the Center of experimentation of the prestigious Teatro Colón with a group lead by the trumpet player Valentin Garvie.
- Was selected to assist to the residency directed by Vijey Iyer at the Atlantic Center forthe Arts.